The Ramadan of 2021.


It has gone, this Ramadan. The whole of me is grateful that the month had been so beautifully blessed as it was, and I am not overreacting. It is from the very few times that Ramadan passes with little judgement and little comparison.

Out of the thirty days, I could say I only had two bad ones, which turned out to be beautiful lessons. It was quite the opposite the past years; I’d have only two or three inspiring days, the rest would be filled with lingering pain and extreme loneliness, which I wasn’t vulnerable enough to heal or deal with it. Those feelings of desperation just roamed on like an incessant, dark cloud of indifference.

 What made this Ramadan different for me, I wonder?


It was the month of so many ‘first times’. It was the first time not to spend the nights of Ramadan walking around the city. It was the first time not to compare my situation with other people’s circumstances. Alas, it was the first time to actually feel so much joy for other people’s gatherings. My learners would come and talk to me about their Ramadan familial adventures and I’d smile, praying that God benevolently blesses their ties. It was the first time to do something different with my time, instead of working so hard in planning things I’m not sure of. It was the first time to actually do something worthwhile out of my aloneness; walking into water sprinklers, taking shots of my favourite trees, sitting down on the grass and listening to my heart-song. Time was poetic and expressive, and even the times I had nothing to do were invested in graceful thought about what I’d like to create for my life.


I turned to God a lot this Ramadan. He was close, manifesting His presence with timely signs and nudges. I’d ask for something and I’d swiftly get my answer, even if it was painful. Whenever I asked God to guide me towards peace to accept where I belong, my insight would expand, taking in more things to forgive and find open doors for growth where I stand. I came to understand that wherever I am, whatever the situation may be, no matter how tormenting, lonely and empty, it is always the right thing. Now, I do have the choice. Do I choose to live through it with love, possibility and by giving? Or, do I alternatively choose to feel victimised, fearful and doubtful? There is always a choice to make.

It was my first time to get outside of my comfortable ‘victim mode’ and step into unknowns by discovering the gifts that my soul has to offer to the world. They’re not much, but they’re all I got. I cannot waste any more time thinking they’re not enough.

What would I like to take with me from Ramadan?



I would like to take the longer prayers with me. Time spent with the highest version of myself, the version I am compelled to bring forth while in God’s presence. I would like to take more time not doing much, to tap into my creativity. I would like to take with me less thought of food, drink and temporary satisfactions and relying instead on the notion that the universe nourishes my soul with so much love, so much meaning whenever I am present and attentive, and not stuck in my head’s interpretations, its baggage and analysis.


One thing that I’d really love to take is responding to whatever it is that I feel the need to do. Action that sprouts from fear and the need to prove something always withers and dies. Responding to lively signals from the heart allows blossoms to take shape. This is what I’ve learned and what I hope to embody in the next couple of months, God willing.

Thank you, dearest Ramadan. I have grown and the splintered, scared parts of myself have found a home.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

a letter to my father.

Sitting With Myself.

a goodbye’s grief.

Enrapturing Highlights of 2023.

a letter you never read.