Quarantine Updates.


In just a few days, life has changed completely. It all started with a few news headlines, whose impact grew and grew, leading us to be staying at home, keeping a safe distance with the life we once knew.

On a personal level, everything's fine. My family is safe, we don't have contact with many people. My sister stopped going to school but my mother, who is a doctor, is still working but taking extra care of her hygiene. I went to work for one day, but then got excused and will spend the rest of the quarantine period at home, practising sports, devouring my textbooks and finding ways to create value in my day.


I feel confused, a little, because it's such a shift in routine. In a few hours, my plans of going to university, meeting friends and doing projects disappeared into thin dust. No more midterms. School is devoid of life, since the students aren't there and in just a few hours I'm supposed to restructure my life after it had been brimming with structure and fulfilment. Honestly, I love the change. I love that my mind is trying to find different ways to fill my day and it's brightening me up with energetic ideas. 

However, it's not always that positive for everyone. I keep thinking of the businesses which no longer make money those days, how will they be able to maintain the demand on their products and services in such uncertain times? The teachers I'm assisting cannot give their lessons because classrooms are not so safe. Exams are approaching. Everyone is panicking for solutions. People have hoarded the supermarkets to store supplies. Everyone is so narrow-focused and reacting haphazardly, out of stress, because there isn't a clear long-term vision for what's going to happen next.

The thing is, I don't know what will happen next. I'm not really sure whether it will get better or worse, as there are conflicting views from both sides. Deep down though, I know there's hope. I know this epidemic is here for a reason, a solution will be found and things will never be the same again.


I believe this virus is here to teach us something. Perhaps, it's here to show us that nature is so much stronger than us, and the political powers which keep growing every day can be bombarded in a few weeks. Perhaps it's here to show us the impact we have left on our environment, and how developed societies have built their economies and strengths on proliferating consumption, which are very volatile in times of crisis. I think this virus is here to show us that there is no linear line for us to define life and our direction, but there will always be unexpected twists that will cause us to redefine all that we've ever known.

Midst my little fears of not being able to travel and see my family this summer, not acing my examinations and feeling all over the place; I'm calmer than I would normally be in such situations. I'm finding it broadening to actually be in such circumstances, to adapt and practise resilience. I find it a time to prove myself, to make even more money as a private tutor and help the teachers I work with find solutions for their problems. I find that being proactive is much more fulfilling than panicking. Being empowered by knowledge and having the nerve to experiment is a step outside of our comfort zones, and we shouldn't ever give up on the possibility of creating positive change in such trialing times.


I believe it's time for us to reassess our true strengths, test our discipline and persistence. It's a time for us to find ways to create value in our time, which is abundant since we don't have anywhere to go to during the day. It's a chance to take care of ourselves; our health, hygiene and not take our blessings for granted. If you're healthy and whole today, protect that. Follow the guidelines. Do the work you need to maintain it. You'll never know how precious your health and safety is until you lose it. 

I hope you're okay, making the best out of your time. Stay positive and proactive!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

a letter to my father.

Sitting With Myself.

a goodbye’s grief.

Enrapturing Highlights of 2023.

a letter you never read.