Dainty Towns: Sandomierz, Poland.


I am quite fond of small, dainty towns and prefer them over those huge metropolises, ones in which I feel a little lost in. That's why for my first road trip this year, I chose a town called Sandomierz located in the south-east aspect of Poland. I haven't travelled so far down the south in Poland, and I can see that it holds a distinct air and a different nature of terrains.



It was a three-hour drive which crossed small streets near small towns and fields of wheat, corn and fruits. Since the south has this warmer climate, the fields were beautifully laden with cherries, apples, fleshy apricots and peaches. Some farmers set up stalls near the side of the road selling apricots, which I had never tasted in Poland in summer, because the season for those kind of fruits is usually in the autumn. But since spring came early this year, a lot of things have changed. It was quite a long drive, all in all, but I must say a smile was plastered on my face through it all. We passed some grassy mountains and the clouds made beautiful shapes that synced with the melodies I heard on the way. My head wasn't able to conjure up stories and imaginings, but I was deeply inspired and finally had some time alone to think and rewind.






Sandomierz was located uphill and you couldn't discern whether it was actually there or not. We parked the car and headed up. In Poland, they usually place a gate in front of the city's main centre or what is called stare miasto, which is the old city. As you step inside through the gate, you are greeted with a dainty sight of light-coloured buildings with windows adorned in bright colours, cobblestone roads and people walking with smiles on their faces. It's the kind of sight that makes me feel at home. We walked in the road slowly, absorbing in the swift beauty. My sister, as usual, asked for ice-cream and her new favourite is watermelon sorbet, as well as chocolate-mint. There were some stalls set up with traditional food, and it's the part I love most about visiting towns. Honey jars were lined up; taken from blossoms of tilia trees and heather. What caught my attention was that amazing man selling cake made entirely from white beans; it was sugar-free and natural, flavoured with raspberry sauce and cream. It tasted divine, or maybe it was because it was baked out of passion and dedication. I wonder if I would ever have the chance to put smiles on other people's faces so effortlessly, in a way similar to that. Last thing was the countless types of bread, all freshly-baked and made of whole grain flour. We bought the rye one, which is my favourite.










In case you are wondering, this is grilled sheep cheese with cranberry jam. It's so naturally good for a touristic snack!

We walked around the streets, discovering the narrow alleys and thereof. During that time, I forgot about everything and kept observing people; their behaviours, relationships with others and the touristic vibe they are beholding. I often find myself smiling as a parent buys ice-cream for his/her child, a couple holding hands, someone taking pictures of a butterfly on a flower, a busker playing passionately on the streets, allowing us to gather around collectively inspired by art. I also keep imagining how our ancestors built those towns with little resources and it's awfully mesmerising. The anthropological aspect behind travelling is always so pronounced and we should all do our best to remind ourselves of the history that lifts our cultures up till today.


St. Joseph's church.






All in all, it was a beautiful day. Sandomierz, still, is not the town to specifically travel to as there aren't many attractions, but it's surely one to pass by if you're near. I can't wait to discover many other dainty towns around the world and immerse myself in their history and delicate beauty.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

a letter to my father.

Sitting With Myself.

a goodbye’s grief.

Enrapturing Highlights of 2023.

a letter you never read.