Sunrise Stories.


It’s no longer dark when we wake up. The sun is already facing us with its expressive blaze and over-arching light rays. We wake for the calling of the birds, the sound of the sprinklers in the gardens beside and the buzzing of life round every corner.

But this morning, I wake up while it’s no longer dark in my mind. For a time not so short, I’ve been waking with a fear gnawing at my spirit. I didn’t tell you, not to obstruct your peace and everglowing smile. I liked hearing about your dreams and aspirations soaring up to heights unimaginable, because they are a part of your soul that I do not wish to reign but let be.

You were the first to wake, perhaps it was the thrill that intrigued your mind from settling into a sleep you needed. I rushed out of bed to prepare you breakfast and squeeze out fresh orange juice into a bottle, allowing the sour-sweet elusive fragrance to tickle my breaths, forming a smile on my face. I wrap it all up into your suitcase with a frown crowned with a twist of a resisted smile.

I was going to miss you, terribly.

You fail to utter a word the whole drive to the airport, but I kept on smiling, feeding off the illumination in your heart, full of tender excitement and hopefulness— one that keeps you distinct and alive. And, I do not speak either but let melodies of songs we used to sing echo in my mind, sparking unearthly conversations we usually have— but it isn’t the right time.

You look at me swiftly, almost in form of a glance. I sense that there is something you need to say and I smile even more, pushing strength past its limits just to get there so that you do not have to overextend yourself with words that you do not have to say.

I tell you that I understand and whisper that I’ll be there nevertheless, for our bond is not something we could leave behind, not in a million years, not in a lifetime of distractions and worldly issues consuming our attention. The thoughts we keep of each other linger in moments of stillness and peace, and we remember and need not anything else.

I do not wait for you to answer me but watch you leave, dragging the suitcase behind you. You stop a couple of time with longing eyes, yet infused with your plans to change the world, and they’re the dominant ones, for they fuel and drive everything we were meant to do, dearest, and I understand that.

So I let you go with one last wave and a whimper of goodbye. I’m still smiling, still hoping I do not forget your face. You disappear and I walk away, in a moment surreal and perplexing, tempting me to sit down and orient my face towards the sun and just close my eyes.

I have dreams of my own, too. I have days to look forward to, with your fervent support accompanying me. I need nothing but the words the distance which owns you stops from being said, but they’re all there, in terms of thoughts and instinctive signs I can read wherever you set your heart to be.

I drive home with a sadness somewhat akin to a silent storm, hiding some potential yet slowly transforming into a rain so blissful and rejuvenating. Wherever you are now, it’s somewhere beautiful and uncomfortable, and you shall grow and soar from the rains pouring down on us both.

And this is how nothing really matters anymore.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

a letter to my father.

Sitting With Myself.

a goodbye’s grief.

Enrapturing Highlights of 2023.

a letter you never read.