Sunrise Stories.


Sometimes I wake whilst it’s still dark, the winter sun soaked underneath densities of clouds and differences in time. As soon as I tap into consciousness, I instantaneously think of you realising my skin is caressing yours, our feet warmed by the layers of blankets above us, and perhaps because of a love we are dreaming of while we are asleep.

Being in bed, my eyes blinking and pupils void of light and vision, your thought triggers me to list the reasons I’m grateful to be alive. Just the thought of it being yet another morning grounds my heart to attract what’s best, start anew and move on. A smile forms on my face, allowing my breath to slide gently down my chest, soaking my tissues with content and faith. It hasn’t been easy, to keep our chins up all this time. Perhaps it’s easier for you, with your domineering airs and rational mind— you simply set the tribulations aside and with my heart and our connection, I absorb whatever is bothering you, beautifying twists of fate to keep life going the way we want it to.

Before it gets less dim outside, I realised that I missed sharing my unearthly thoughts with you, ones that you mostly don’t understand but cherish. I missed seeing you listen with your face relaxed and eyes glistening, trying balmily to decipher the inscrutable things I believe in. You say it allows you to stop the racing plans in your mind, to be more present and calm because it takes so much effort to float in the air after treading the rough grounds for too long.

I understand that, dearest. I understand whatever you are going through with the ever-demanding responsibilities of life. You immerse yourself in their complexities, but I too often wander astray, finding roads-less-travelled-by to spark up change and unearthliness in our lives. You appreciate it, though you consider it unfathomable, and it makes all the difference.

The sunlight starts to shimmer, being torn as it passes the blinds. My pupils recover the realities of the bedroom, letting go of the visions of my dreams. I can now see you, still asleep, perhaps it being one of the few hours you finally get to lapse into the safe silence, for I can feel you overthinking the night away, with all the to-do list items and goals that you think define you.

But they don’t. You haven’t seen the way your heart skips a beat when you come back home after a long day, embracing the comfort and love that awaits you— that we have built together.

I’ll slowly slip from the bed towards my desk, setting tasks for my own to-do list but, before all else, I take a deep breath and exhale the reality slowly, smiling cordially, thanking the world for granting the possibility of what awaits me.

The sun hangs like a pearl above the horizon and I’m ready to face a new day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

a letter to my father.

Sitting With Myself.

a goodbye’s grief.

Enrapturing Highlights of 2023.

a letter you never read.