Quack!


Sorry for the profusely unromantic post title but I could not find anything more appropriate than this. I woke up on Thursday, hoping I'd go for a run though I had fears not to go since it was pouring as I fell asleep. It was beautifully serene to fall asleep with the sound of rain pattering on the window sill, and when I did finally rise in the morning at 4.30 AM, the sky was greyish blue and a fierce wind was howling actively so I fell asleep again with tired eyes knowing I wouldn't go.

At around noon, my sister and I went for a walk and some cycling underneath the stormy sky and betwixt the refreshing winds. We did some acrobatics on the monkey bars, ran in the track, cycled in the greens and awaited our duck adventure. :)

My sister was profusely hungry so we bought some kind of pastry and headed to the lake near the park. My sister ate carelessly but as we approached the ducks idling in the lake, we couldn't have been more attentive. My sister started quacking and coming nearer, trying to get to touch some of the ducks and realised that in order to gain their trust, she should give them food. She only had this roll of pastry to give, and she was really hungry. I looked her in the eye, reminding her that happiness comes from sharing things with others, even if they are animals. And for the first time this summer, she saw sharing as a beautiful virtue, and started crumbling the pastry for the ducks near us, and we sat on the ground, blocking the way, surrounded by a herd of ducks and crows, all trying to take advantage of my sister's kindness. It was such a beautiful feeling to have those animals beside us, giving them some of our overwhelming love, willingly.



After we have finished giving away the food, the realisation of hunger hit my sister so badly that she started crying, saying that she didn't have any food to eat. I smiled at her face and cuddled her, telling her that her heart was now full of love and kindness, and it's more important to satisfy this kind of hunger.. in which the heart is starving for a little bit more of enrichment by beautiful values. She didn't really understand, I suppose, but I thought that it would be the best time for me to instil the value of sharing in her since she's eight years old, starting this innocent greedy "I want it all" phase.


Everyday, we are learning something new together. Learning to honour ourselves and our loved ones. We grow into values and emotions through every experience. That day, my sister learned to share- and it's one of the most crucial lessons in our lives. It's really easy for us to isolate and block everyone out, not sharing our existence with others. We can be a source of inspiration and positivity in this world, and it's our duty to show ourselves, be confident and share our lives with others. We need to be more interdependent upon each other, more aware of how each one of can contribute to make this life better, to inspire change in our souls.

I hope my sister learned a lesson that day, young and wild as she is.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

a letter to my father.

Sitting With Myself.

a goodbye’s grief.

Enrapturing Highlights of 2023.

a letter you never read.